About this list
Hi Dabbers! I'm Oron Mati, also known as the VapeGuy, and since 2005, I have tested and rated hundreds of vaporizers (here on the website and on my YouTube channel) for design, features, efficiency, vapor quality, and longevity. Here is more info about me and my review process.
One of the most common questions I get from new users is- “which is the best electric dab rig?” But, eRigs are not a “one size fits all” and depend on your budget, level of experience, and usage style. The best for me isn't necessarily the best for you, as we may prioritize different features.
The list above represents my top choices for 2024 and is regularly updated as new dab rigs are released. I also included coupon codes when available. Let me know if any are not working correctly.
Trusted Retailers: All stores listed are authorized dealers I've personally ordered from. As ‘VapeGuy', I may earn a fee from purchases made through my links. For more details, see my affiliate disclosure.
What are Dab Rigs?
eRigs (aka Dab Rigs) are concentrate vaporizers that typically have a powerful heating element and a built-in water bubbler and are used for consuming solid Cannabis concentrates like wax, shatter, or rosin. eRigs are a modern evolution of traditional dab rigs, offering a more sophisticated and convenient way to enjoy dab concentrates.
Unlike the manual heating process of classic dab rigs, eRigs utilize electricity to power their heating elements, eliminating the need for a torch. This electronic heating system allows for precise temperature control. The temperature range in eRigs typically varies from around 450°F to 800°F, providing versatility for different types of concentrates and user preferences. High temperatures result in intense, potent vapor, while lower settings preserve the delicate flavors and terpenes of the concentrate.
Benefits of using a Dab Rig
Using a dab rig, particularly an eRig, offers several distinct advantages over traditional smoking methods and other vaporizing devices:
- Healthier Than Smoking: Dab rigs are considered a healthier alternative to smoking. By vaporizing concentrates instead of burning them, they avoid combustion, which is known to release harmful tar and carcinogens. According to this research published in PubMed Central in 2021, vaporizing significantly reduces the inhalation of harmful substances, making it a safer option for your respiratory system.
- More Potent Experience: eRigs deliver a more powerful experience compared to other devices like dab pens. They more efficiently vaporize larger quantities of concentrates, resulting in intense, potent hits. Dab Rigs are the ultimate choice for experienced users seeking the full strength and effects of their dabs.
- Large Heating Element: One of the key benefits of a dab rig is its large heating element. This feature allows for a more even and effective vaporization of concentrates. The larger surface area of the heating element ensures that concentrates are heated more consistently, providing a smoother and more flavorful vapor.
- Sturdy Units with High-End Options: Dab rigs are typically robust and well-built. Many high-end models offer advanced features such as precise temperature control, quality materials, and sophisticated designs. These premium options enhance the overall dabbing experience by ensuring durability, reliability, and optimal performance.
- Flavor Preservation: Dab rigs can operate at temperatures that preserve the delicate terpenes responsible for the aroma and flavor of the concentrates, offering a richer and more enjoyable tasting experience.
- Customizable and Controlled Experience: Precise temperature controls allow for a customizable experience, catering to personal preferences for vapor density, flavor intensity, and throat hit. The experience is very controlled and predictable, which is beneficial, especially for medical users.
eRigs come equipped with several common features that sets them apart from other concentrate vaporizers and enhance the experience, focusing on efficiency, and quality of vaporization:
Water Filter: A standout feature of many dab rigs is the integrated water filter, often in the form of a bubbler. This water filtration system is crucial for cooling the vapor, making it smoother and more pleasant to inhale. It also helps to purify the vapor by trapping impurities, resulting in a cleaner and purer inhalation experience. The water filter is especially beneficial for users who find direct vapor too harsh or intense, as it significantly reduces throat irritation.
Temperature Control: Precise temperature control is a key feature in modern dab rigs. It allows users to adjust the heat to their specific liking, which can vary depending on the type of concentrate used and personal preference. Lower temperatures are ideal for savoring the full flavor profile of the concentrate and ensuring a smooth hit, while higher temperatures can produce more potent and dense vapor. The ability to control temperature also means users can avoid overheating their concentrates, preserving the quality and potency of the vapor.
3D Chambers: Some of the more advanced dab rigs are equipped with 3D chambers for heating the concentrate. Unlike traditional flat-surface chambers, 3D chambers provide heat from all sides, ensuring a more even and efficient vaporization process. This design leads to a more consistent vapor quality and helps in maximizing the extraction of active compounds from the concentrates.
In addition to these features, many dab rigs may also include other advanced functionalities like digital displays for temperature and battery life, customizable session settings, and durable materials like quartz or ceramic for the heating element.
The type of coil used for heating the concentrate plays a crucial role in the device's Functionality and the overall vaping experience. The two primary types of coils are bowl coils and exposed coils, each with its unique characteristics:
Bowl Coils: Bowl coils, often found in more advanced eRigs, feature a smooth, dish-like heating surface, typically made of materials like ceramic or quartz. The design of these coils allows for an indirect heating method, where the concentrate is not in direct contact with a heating element. This results in a more even distribution of heat and reduces the likelihood of overheating the concentrate. Bowl coils are particularly effective for low to medium-temperature dabbing, preserving the intricate flavors and aromas of the concentrate. They also tend to be easier to clean, as their smooth surface doesn't have nooks and crannies where residue can accumulate.
Exposed Coils: Exposed coils, often seen in traditional dab pens and some portable eRigs, consist of one or more coil elements that directly contact the concentrate. These coils can be made from materials like quartz, titanium, or ceramic, and they heat up quickly to vaporize the concentrate. Exposed coils are known for their ability to produce robust and potent vapor, especially at higher temperatures. However, this direct contact with the heating element can sometimes lead to uneven heating and potentially burn the concentrate, affecting flavor quality. Moreover, exposed coils might require more frequent cleaning due to residue buildup.
Dab Rigs vs other vaporizers
Dab Rigs vs. Dab Pens:
- Intensity and Experience: Dab rigs offer a more intense experience with potent, smooth hits due to larger heating elements and water filtration. Dab pens, while convenient, provide a less potent experience.
- Portability: Dab pens excel in portability, being small and discreet. Dab rigs, particularly eRigs, are less portable but offer a more comprehensive experience.
- Usability and Maintenance: Dab pens are simpler and require less maintenance. Dab rigs, with more complex designs, need more care but offer superior vapor quality.
- Flavor and Vapor Quality: Dab rigs generally deliver better flavor and vapor quality with their advanced heating systems and filtration.
Dab Rigs vs. eNails:
- Design and Functionality: eNails refer only to the heating element (nail, banger) and are designed to connect with existing water bubblers using a 14mm or 16mm connection. eRigs are standalone all-in-one units with integrated heating elements and water filtration.
- Temperature Control: Both can offer precise temperature control, but eRigs often have more user-friendly features.
- Portability and Convenience: eRigs are more portable and convenient as all-in-one systems, whereas eNails require a separate rig and basic assembly.
- Customization: eNails provide customization with different rigs, while eRigs offer consistency but less flexibility.
Health & Safety Considerations
Buy only from licensed dispensaries: Buying cannabis concentrate from unlicensed sources should be avoided at all costs. Concentrates require special equipment to produce and should only be purchased from licensed dispensaries. Here is a handy dispensary locator from Leafy. Store your concentrates in a cool, dry place and check the expiration date before buying/using them.
Properly store & dispose of: eRigs often contain powerful lithium-ion batteries that should be stored away from direct sunlight, charged only with the supplied cable, and monitored for deformations and external damage. Stop using it immediately if such damage appears, and dispose of it according to the EPA guidelines for batteries.
Use Cannabis responsibly: According to this research published at John Hopkins Medicine in 2018, vaporizing Cannabis can be more potent than smoking it and release more THC into the bloodstream, especially in “infrequent users.” Plus, THC concentrates can be over 90% THC. So, know your extract, control your dose, and start slow.
What's the best temperature for dabbing?
A typical range is between 400°F and 600°F. Lower temperatures tend to provide more flavor but may produce thinner vapor, while higher temperatures can result in thicker vapor but may sacrifice some flavor. Experiment to find your preferred temperature.
Is dab the same as oil?
No, dabbing and oil are not the same. “Dab” is a term used to describe the act of vaporizing concentrated cannabis extracts, such as wax, shatter, or budder. Oil, on the other hand, typically refers to cannabis extracts in a liquid or semi-liquid form, like THC or CBD oil, which is usually sold in prefilled 510 cartridges.
Where can I buy THC dabs?
In regions where Cannabis is legal, you can purchase THC dabs at licensed dispensaries. Make sure to follow local regulations and age restrictions when buying cannabis products.
Can I use dry herb in an eRig?
What is the difference between quartz atomizers and ceramic atomizers?
Quartz rod atomizers and ceramic atomizers are two common types of heating elements used in eRigs. Quartz rod atomizers heat up quickly and provide clean flavor but may not retain heat as well as ceramic. Ceramic atomizers offer better heat retention, allowing for longer, slower draws, but they may take longer to heat up.
Do eRigs smell like weed?
E-rigs do produce some odor, but the smell is typically less pungent compared to traditional smoking methods. The aroma will depend on the concentrate used and the temperature at which it’s vaporized. Using eRigs indoors may still produce a noticeable odor, so consider proper ventilation or air filtration if discretion is a concern.
What type of extracts can be used with a dab Rig?
Dab rigs are designed for use with various cannabis concentrates, including wax, shatter, budder, crumble, and live resin.
Do dab rigs get you higher than dab pens?
The level of intoxication primarily depends on the potency and quantity of the concentrate you consume, rather than the method of consumption itself. Both dab rigs and dab pens can deliver potent effects. However, some users may find that dab rigs allow for larger and more controlled hits, which can lead to a more intense experience.
How to clean a dab rig?
Disassemble and remove any removable parts, such as the nail or banger. Rinse the pieces with warm water to remove loose residue. Use isopropyl alcohol and salt to scrub the components. You can also use specialized cleaning solutions made for dab rigs. Rinse thoroughly with warm water to remove any remaining cleaning solution. Allow the pieces to air dry or use a paper towel or cloth to dry them completely. Reassemble your dab rig, and it’s ready for use again. Regular cleaning helps maintain the flavor and performance of your rig.