News & updates
Since the release of the Mighty+, Storz & Bickel has released two more new vaporizers:
The Storz and Bickel story started 21 years ago with the release of the Volcano (review). 14 years later – S&B changed the game when they released the Mighty – and its smaller brother: the Crafty+ (review). These two devices remain to be one of the best vaporizers you can get. Setting the standard in vapor quality and performance for portables.
In September 2021, 7 years after they were first released – S&B finally gave their portables a much-awaited update. The Crafty+ was outfitted with a new ceramic filling chamber and USB-C charging that reduces charging time by 25 minutes. But it was the release of the Mighty+ that had every vaporizer enthusiast excited.
The Mighty+ now features a new ceramic-lined filling chamber, faster USB-C charging, 60-second heat-up time, and a new preset: the superbooster. Design-wise, the Mighty+ (plus) has a new medical-grade plastic shell, a new fin design, and pops of color in S&B’s signature orange. Just like its predecessor, the Mighty+ retains its large LED screen, precise temperature control, swiveling mouthpiece, and of course – S&B Hybrid Heating.
Kit and Accessories
S&B product kits usually have all your needs covered straight out of the box – and the Mighty+ (Plus) is no different. Other than the unit and charging cable, it comes with the necessary cleaning tools and spares.
Here’s what the Mighty+ kit comes with:
- The Mighty+ unit
- Charging cable
- Screens and seal rings
- Dosing capsule
- Cleaning brush
- Instruction manual
One of the perks of purchasing an S&B product is that the brand has ensured that all accessories that are available to purchase are compatible with all their portables. One thing that was silently released along with the new products and updates is the new Side Kit.
The Side Kit (visit store) is a set of accessories and spares that are compatible with the classic Mighty, Crafty, Crafty+ (Plus), and the Mighty+ (Plus). It retails for $20 and contains spares, cleaning tools, and the following notable accessories:
- Filling Aid – For convenient and straightforward packing. It clips to the top of the vaporizer and is essentially a funnel into the oven. It also doubles as a container so you can store a small amount of herb inside. The filling aid securely clips onto the oven and ensures that no debris falls around the heating element- keeping your vape clean at all times. The Filling Aid (visit store) is also available to purchase separately and is an essential accessory to have with any S&B device.
- Capsule Caddy – Holds a maximum of four dosing capsules and that can be attached to your keychain. It’s also odor and water-proof. This may also be purchased separately and is priced at $6. (visit store)
- Herb Mill – To grind your chosen herb into the perfect, fluffy consistency.
Available exclusively for the Mighty and Mighty+ is the “Wear and Tear kit” (visit store) which are all the spare pieces to refresh the cooling unit. It retails for $35 and it includes a spare cooling unit, mouthpieces, filling chamber, and other spares and cleaning tools.
If you’re not keen on purchasing a full kit – there are several accessories that are available for individual sale. At the top of my recommendations list are the Filling Aid, Capsule Caddy, and Dosing Capsules. The Dosing Capsules (visit store) are capsules that may be pre-filled with herb and easily popped in and out of the oven while you’re on the go. The capsules also fit a keychain, so you can simply pre-fill and go. S&B also sells filling trays and filling aids that can fill nearly 40 capsules at a time.
If you’ve owned the previous Mighty (or Crafty+), you might notice that this Mighty+kit no longer comes with the “Drip pad” that is used to use the device with wax and other concentrates. The Mighty+ is still compatible with both dry herb and concentrates but, as always, I still advise against using the Mighty+ with extracts- while the new ceramic coating might make it easier to clean from now on – it’s just best for the health of your device to keep your wax pen separate. I tested my Mighty+ with THC herb from my local dispensary and CBD herb from In-Hemp.
Design and Features
The Mighty+ (Plus)’s design definitely places function over style and hasn’t strayed much from the design of its predecessor. It sports a rugged design that’s made from new medical-grade plastic. While plastic may sometimes be frowned upon in vaporizers – S&B has made it a point to use biomaterial that was specifically created to house medical devices – which makes complete sense for the device since it is the only portable vaporizer to be certified for medical use.
Ridged Design: The entire device is outlined by its signature ridged design. The former Mighty had straight fins that ran through the device, while the Mighty+ has a new curved design that actually draws attention to the center- making a larger device seem more narrow. It’s an interesting design change and it isn’t just eye-catching, it’s also incredibly functional. Angled upwards and out for more effective heat dissipation.
LED display and Buttons: The Mighty+ has analog controls and a digital display so you have precise temperature control. It may not be compatible with an app, but it surely doesn’t need one. The well-sized display makes it easy to see everything that’s going on in the device, from the battery level to the current heating temperature. Below the LED display is the Mighty+ logo, in bright S&B signature orange
Flanking the screen are two large orange buttons – controlling the variable temperature. On one side of the device is a single rounded button for power and to activate the super-boost mode. No extras are required, everything you need to control is on the device itself- ready for you to start vaping right out of the box.
Base: The base of the device has been updated with something incredibly simple, yet has been something I had always thought the Mighty needed. The Mighty+ now has small feet so it can stand on its own. The formerly curved bottom of the Mighty made filling the top-mounted bowl quite a challenge without a stand, so this is pretty neat.
UL and TÜV Certification: S&B thoroughly and continually tests all their products in houses and through third-party companies for quality and overall safety. As mentioned earlier, the Mighty is (TUV) certified for medical use and now the Mighty+ is the first-ever vaporizer to carry the UL logo. The Mighty+ conforms to UL8139, which guarantees the safety of the battery, charging, electrical, and heating components.
It’s only fitting that the Mighty+ comes with an equally mighty battery. At 4600mAH, the Mighty+ boasts of one of the best and biggest batteries in the industry. While it isn’t removable, it certainly is visible. The two columns on either side of the device are actually the two power cells that keep the Mighty+ going.
USB- C Charging: They’ve done away with the old proprietary charger on the older Mighty, and replaced it with USB-C. The proprietary charger was just one more thing you’d have to carry around when traveling, and if you happen to forget it in a hotel room, for example, your Mighty is practically worthless. This USB-C update also comes with a new supercharge feature that can deliver an 80% charge in 40 minutes. This new USB-C port is also accompanied by a resigned circuit board to accommodate the new 45W power output.
The Cooling Unit
The cooling unit and its accompanying swivel mouthpiece are some of the most interesting pieces of the Mighty, Mighty+ (Plus), and Crafty+ (Plus). Definitely, a product of precision engineering, the cooling unit is essentially a lengthy vapor path within a small case. As hot air travels from the heating chamber, it travels through the maze-like path in the unit, before it goes through the mouthpiece – resulting in perfectly cooled, excellent tasting vapor.
Replaceable Cooling Unit: The entire cooling unit and the mouthpiece are also replaceable, either by purchasing it separately or with the “Wear and Tear Kit” (visit store). There aren’t that many vaporizers with the option to replace the entire airpath- so this is definitely pretty cool. The cooling unit from the previous Mighty is also compatible with this one.
How to Use
Using the Mighty+ is simple enough, especially since all you need to start vaping is already in the device itself. There’s no more need for any added devices or having to connect it with an app like on the Crafty+.
- Twist off the cooling unit to expose the herb chamber.
- Pour your ground herb into the filling aid.
- Firmly attach the filling aid to the herb chamber, remove the stopper from the filling aid and use it to sweep the herb through the open hole of the filling aid into the herb chamber. You also have the option of filling dosing capsules in advance and just popping them into the oven.
- Remove the filling aid and then reattach the cooling unit.
- Turn on the device and select your temperature.
- Once the vape finishes heating, swivel out the mouthpiece and inhale from it.
The Mighty+ features a new pre-set heat mode called “Superboost“. This is easily accessible by clicking the power button twice to increase the device temperature by 16F or three times to increase the temperature by 27F.
Loading the oven has to be done by hand, which more often than not – gets quite messy and leaves unwanted debris around the oven. So, maybe make it all a little bit easier and use one of the following optional accessories:
- A small herb spoon (buy on Amazon) to help you place the herbs into the oven without leaving any particles behind, whether you use the Mighty+ or any other dry herb vape.
- Or even better, purchase the Filling Aid (visit store) sold by Storz&Bickel for around $5. The filling aid functions as a storage container that can connect to the top of the Mighty or the Crafty, and it funnels the herb directly into the oven. In my opinion, this is a must-have accessory that will keep things clean and neat, plus it will pack a perfect oven every single time and provide a consistent experience.
Mighty+ vs Crafty+
The Crafty+ and the Mighty naturally have a lot in common, but they also have some significant differences as follows:
- Size- the Mighty is about twice the size of Crafty and therefore is less portable. It still fits in a large pocket or purse but is less stealthy and discreet than the Crafty+. If size and portability are your top priorities, Crafty is the clear winner here.
- Screen & interface- the Crafty has a one-button interface with three preset temperatures. There is no onboard screen or temperature controls. Although the Crafty+ has Bluetooth connectivity, iPhone users may have an issue connecting to the unit. Due to the Apple app store ban of vape apps, S&B had to develop a web app that must be accessed through a browser. The problem is, Safari or even Chrome are not supported. You'd have to download a new browser and access the app through there. So, good luck with that. The Mighty+ doesn't have Bluetooth, and all the controls are onboard. A significant advantage here to the Mighty as far as interface and control.
- Battery life- Mighty+ has about double the battery life of the Crafty+.
- Price difference- the Mighty+ currently retails for $400 while the Crafty+ is $280.
Here is what is the same between both vapes:
- Ceramic Coating- together with the Mighty+ release, the Crafty+ was also released in an improved 2021 version. It now has Ceramic coating on the chamber, just like the Mighty+ and the Volcano.
- USB-C charging- one of the biggest drawbacks of the previous Mighty was that it was only compatible with a proprietary charger. Both vapes have finally been upgraded to USB-C, which means they charge faster, and USB-C cables are just more accessible. The Mighty+ charges from empty to 80% in about 40 minutes.
- Temperature and Oven Capacity- Both vapes have the same temperature range of 104°F to 410°F and have an oven capacity of around .25gr dry herb.
- Hybrid Heating- While both vapes use the same hybrid heating system, which produces similar results, the Mighty performs slightly better as it has more energy available to power the heating element.
With all that said, if you don't mind the size and extra cost, I’d definitely say to get the Mighty+. While the Crafty+ is just as reliable, the Mighty+ (Plus) packs more power has a bit more of an edge over its smaller counterpart.
What could’ve been better about the Mighty+
While the Mighty+ is definitely exceptional in design, quality, and performance – I do think a couple of things could’ve been a bit better. While these two things don’t affect the device’s power in any way, I just can’t help but wonder why they weren’t considered in this upgrade. Especially since S&B is fairly known for their attention to detail.
The original Mighty was rounded at the bottom and wasn’t exactly stable when standing upright (even on flat surfaces). This has sort of been augmented on the Mighy+ which now has two small feet to help it stand on its own, but you’ll still have to reverse the stirring tool that’s tucked at the bottom. While this “tripod” design does keep it up, it’s still not as stable as the Crafty+, which has a flat bottom.
Lastly, I hoped S&B Included the filling aid in the kit. It’s a must-have accessory that will keep your vape clean and functioning well for years. It retails for $5 and is cheap to manufacture – I just don’t see why it has to be “optional” when it feels like it’s something that’s mandatory to use with their devices.
Performance and Vapor Quality
There’s a reason why S&B’s vapor is the standard of the industry. For starters, they invented the hybrid heating system – heating herb thoroughly and efficiently every time through a combination of convection and conduction heating systems. Conduction heats the herb via direct contact – which in the case of the Mighty+ is the ceramic coated portion of the oven. Convection on the other hand is heating the herb with hot air created in the heating element and pulled into the chamber as you draw. The fully extracts all the terpenes and all other organic material from your herb.
Vapor Quality: On the Mighty+, the mass of the hybrid heating system has been reduced. This change in size has made it possible for the Mighty+ to have a much faster heat-up time of 60 seconds to anywhere in its 104°F and 410°F range. Safe to say that when it comes to vapor quality – the Mighty+ wins every time, in all the ways. Regardless of whichever point in your session you’re in – the vapor is rightfully dense, flavorful, and potent.
The first hit on the Mighty is very flavorful with lighter vapor and gets denser throughout the session.
Low draw resistance: One of the qualities I appreciated the most in the Mighty+ is its low draw resistance- some vapes have a high draw resistance which basically means that you'd have to work harder to inhale through the mouthpiece. Kind of like drinking a thick smoothie through a thin straw. But the Mighty+ and the Crafty+ both have very low draw resistance, so inhaling is as easy as taking a breath.
It’s been a long time coming for the Mighty+ (Plus), and it’s been well worth its wait! It delivers on its promise of top-notch S&B vapor, and you get a consistent, predictable, and controllable experience each time. I’ve been a long-time user of the Mighty – it’s been my daily device for 6 years, and the Mighty+ is a welcome upgrade.
The Mighty+ (Plus) retails for $399, which is quite a sum to splurge on a vaporizer, but it truly is well worth it with any S&B products since they’re bound to last you for many years to come. Right now, we have a 15% coupon posted, so that's huge savings of $60 on the Mighty+. If you’re still on edge and are looking for something smaller, the Crafty+ (review) delivers a near same vapor quality in a smaller package. There are also more devices on our list of the best dry herb vaporizers of 2024, and see how the Mighty+ measures up to the Volcano Hybrid in our comparison post.
- Compatible: Dry Herb
- Released Date: Sep 2021
- Body Material: Plastic
- Smartphone App: No
- Vibration Notification: Yes
- Adjustable Airflow: Yes
- Mouthpiece Material: Plastic
- Display Type: LCD
- Warranty: 3 Years
- Oven Material: Ceramic
- Oven Capacity: 0.25gr grams
- Temperature Settings: 104-410°F
- Heating Method: Conduction
- Heat up Time: 50-60
- Charger Type: USB-C
- Battery Type: Internal
- Battery Capacity: 4600mAh
- Sesh Per Charge: 9-12 Sessions
- Overall Score: 4.8
- MSRP: $399
- Coupon Code: TVG20
- Store: Visit Store